Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create pictures of organs and other soft tissue structures inside your body. The test doesn’t use any radiation and is quick, noninvasive, and painless.
Your doctor may recommend an ultrasound to:
- Investigate causes of pain, swelling, or infection
- Diagnose certain muscle, tendon, and ligament conditions (musculoskeletal ultrasound)
- Examine internal organs
- Evaluate blood flow in your veins and arteries (Doppler ultrasound)
- Diagnose breast cancer (breast ultrasound)
- Diagnose heart conditions or assess damage after a heart attack (echocardiogram)
- Guide minimally invasive procedures, such as needle biopsies and cortisone injections
- Monitor the development of an unborn baby during pregnancy
Contact us with any questions you have about ultrasound imaging!