A transformation in care has taken place at Lakewood Health System, through the adoption of a medical home model that applies 21st-century technology to old-fashioned, personalized medical care. Through the implementation of the Medical Home, Lakewood Health System has taken on an advocacy role, both in the state of Minnesota, and nationally.
Medical Home is a progressive model of comprehensive care that takes an integrated, whole person approach to health management. Medical Home was developed by the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American College of Physicians and the American Academy of Pediatrics. As of July 1st, 2010, state funding for Medical Home reimbursement became available in Minnesota.
There is no additional charge to the patient to be part of a Medical Home. The state of Minnesota and most insurers have agreed to pay a monthly fee to Lakewood Health System for the patients they are insuring. They are of the belief that this medical home will decrease their expenses by improving the health of their insured.
Lakewood Health System’s Medical Home has become an accelerating force of quality care. All of Lakewood’s Family Medicine physicians participate.
Other benefits of the program include:
- Physicians are able to focus on complex health issues.
- Patients are assured of swift communication and assistance, with care coordinated by their chosen medical home provider.
- Pharmacists, therapists, educators, counselors, and home care nurses are able to communicate their recommendations in a timely, effective fashion, usually via the care coordinator.
- Administration sees an efficient pattern of care delivery using a team of doctors, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, nurses and ancillary personnel working at the highest level of their training.
- Medical Home patients greatly benefit from the program’s individualized care planning, team approach and whole person orientation.